- This event has passed.
National Indigenous Peoples Day 2023
The month of June is National Indigenous Peoples Month and June 21, 2023, is National Indigenous Peoples Day. Both events are to recognize and celebrate the history, heritage, resilience, and diversity of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis across Canada.
Many Indigenous groups and communities celebrate their culture and heritage on June 21 as it aligns with the significance of summer solstice as the longest day of the year.
Events happening in Banff:
The Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity are hosting a number of events throughout June. There will be free activities such as storytelling and dance workshops. As well as a live performance from Eekwol.If you can’t make it in person, they are also hosting virtual marketplaces and online film screenings too!
At the Gazebo and Park Areas:
- Blackfoot Medicine Speaks will showcase educational and cultural experiences (1:45 pm – 5:15 pm)
- Wendy Walker and the Tribe are performing a blend of contemporary and traditional vocals and drumming (2:30 pm)
- The Nakoda Nation dance troupe will be sharing traditional dance and songs of the Îyârhe (Stoney Nakoda) nation (3:30 pm)
- Panic Station, an alt-rock duo, will be performing (4:15pm)
- The Iyethka (Stoney Nakoda) Holloway family will provide an educational cultural experience and storytelling, with Tipi displays all afternoon
The Whyte Museum is hosting a range of educational events. You will be able to enjoy some delicious indigenous dishes, a community bird mural program, a creative kids workshop, and a performance from Panic Station with Eli Twoyoungmen and Adam Bronsch.
There are plenty of ways to get involved and learn about the history and culture of National Indigenous Peoples Day!
At SkiBig3, we acknowledge that we live, work, and play on the traditional and contemporary territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika, Kainai, Piikani), the Tsuut’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Métis Nation (Region 3), and all people who make their homes in the Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta.